Monday, January 2, 2012

"Oh, I'm not good..."

HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPY 2012!
Skyping on Christmas was great!  Talking to her big brother, Stephen.

I am pretty sure that I have shared this video before, but I don't care...it's my favorite...WATCH IT. NOW.  (: (just click "watch it") Sometimes we may not be in control of our circumstances, but we can choose our attitude.  We can choose to be happy.  I have learned a lot about that the past several years.  And continue to learn. 
For example, in church on Sunday a woman shared an experience that helped her...which helped me. 

During all the hustle of Christmas, she was doing some shopping at Target.  She headed to the cashier, all ready to check out.  Here she meets Scott who is visibly mentally and physically disabled.

Sister Stencil-"How are you?"

Scott-"Oh, I'm not good...."

Sister Stencil-"You're not?"

Scott-"I'm not good, I'm GREAT.  Yes, I am great Scott.  See (pointing to his name tag).  My name is Scott...and I am Great." 

Scott is an example to me.  Some may look at their circumstances, which are less than desirable, and choose to be miserable...choose to complain...I know I have been guilty of this.

We can choose to make 2012 a happy year, every day, every day, every day. 

Being a missionary, to me, is all about choices.  (Well, I guess life, in general, is all about choices) 

Sister's Fotu and Spring (Fish Eye's)
Alarm goes off at 6:30am.

Choose to say, "Good morning, Sister Fotu."

Choose to pray.

Choose to change in to exercise clothes.

Choose to walk down the stairs.

Personal Study begins at 8:00am

Choose to think about the people we will be teaching.

Choose to focus.

Choose to stay awake. 

You get the point. 

Then, as we teach people, they have to choose what they will do with the information.
I can tell them my experiences of how I know that God is real and that He loves me.
I can read from the Bible with them to show how Heavenly Father has always worked through prophets.
I can invite them to read from The Book of Mormon to discover their own testimony that The Book of Mormon is a true book from God.
But they will never know for themselves until they act. 

"Jane", prime example. (8 kids, single mom, has my heart, remember her?)  She has allowed us to come teach her a few times.  She knows that what we are teaching is good.  She feels good while we are with her.  And has even seen changes in her life because of it. (drinking less, more patient...)  But has not really done "the footwork".  Church.  Read.  Pray.  Until then, she will never know for herself if this is true. 

Anyways, I am rambling. 
All I am trying to say is...choose to be happy.  For me, that happiness has come as I have followed what Heavenly Father asks of me.  I know that he wants us to be happy. 
"Adam fell that men might be, and men are that they might have joy." 2 Nephi 2:25

I love you!!!!
XOXOXO
Sister Spring

Jones family came to have lunch on Christmas Eve day. (: 
Oh, I love them.